Mary H. Wright Elementary is a Kindergarten through fifth grade school that serves approximately 515 students. Our building was constructed in the last decade when it moved from its Caulder Avenue location to the present one on South Church Street. In addition to classrooms, cafeteria, gymnasium, and library media center there are several performing arts classrooms to facilitate band, orchestra, and chorus. Also to serve students are two computer labs.
Our school is named after Mary H. Wright, an African American activitist and civic leader who began the school under its original name, Carrier Street School, in 1909. As the school’s founder, Mary Wright worked in public schools for over 60 years and served the community as a dedicated citizen who enriched the lives of those around her. .